Search Engine Optimisation - What is it?
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of getting 'free' or 'Organic' traffic from searches on search engines such as Google and Bing.
Everybody seems to offer SEO as a service these days. Indeed, many promises to make your website '1st on Google', let's debunk this right here. Nobody upon nobody can guarantee you first place on Google; it just isn't possible to guarantee it.
How Can I Optimise My Website for Search Engines?
There are some steps you can take to optimise your website for search engines (search engine optimisation). Here are some simple steps you can take on each of your web pages.
- Define the aims for each of your pages. Who are your visitors? What do you want the page to achieve?
- Which phrases do you want your page to rank for in a search engine? Do your research and define your primary, secondary and tertiary phrases
- Is the URL of your page, ok? A good example would be Keyphrase1-Keyphrase2.html
- Check your page 'Title' tag. The correct format should be up to 3 key phrases to the left and your brand to the right. Keep it under 60 characters
- Define your page description. Keep it unique and under 300 characters
- Check your content for the use of H1, H2, and H3 tags
- Refine your content quality. Beware of making the material appear as spam by stuffing it full of your keyphrases. Use synonyms and place keyphrases at the beginning and end of your content. Grammarly.com is a tool worth investing in
- Review all your hyperlinks in the content, be sure to use key phrases in the links and include both internal and external links
- Use your page images wisely. Make sure to place 'alt' and 'title' text on each image and provide captions.
- Track your pages and modify them accordingly with tools such as SE Ranking.
Search engine optimisation is not a 'set and forget' process, it requires research, hard work and persistence, and we can help.